Stephen C Challis - Authors page
Just an Ordinary Copper

This book is  Is an autobiography of my experiences as a Police Constable in the Hampshire Constabulary, United Kingdom, from 1974 to 1995. Names have been changed, so my former colleagues can breath easy, but all events described actually happened.

During my 21 year Police Career with the Hampshire Constabulary I served in the Basingstoke, Eastleigh Bitterne and Winchester sub divisions, in Hampshire County in  Southern England.

The book will give an insight into day to day police work, dealing with mundane as well as serious crimes. The work was exciting, intense, sometimes dangerous, but never boring.  

See below for an excerpt from the book

Not all memories are good or bad, some fall in between. Such a case was Marie. (Not her real name). The night shift started routinely enough, myself and my partner Rob, were assigned to crew the Area car. This was a Volvo saloon that was assigned to cover the Aldershot district and back up the smaller Panda cars that handled the routine calls. An hour or so after the shift we received a call to attend a serious RTA (Road Traffic Accident) that had taken place in a local housing estate.

The year was 1978, The reason the year stuck in my mind will become clearer later, On arrival , one of the Pandas was already on the scene. Quickly we established that there was one vehicle involved and that it had struck a pedestrian. A young girl of  12 years who was lying in the road in front of the vehicle. I recall the road was wet from recent rain, though the rain had stopped. I knelt down to speak to the girl who was obviously in a state of shock. She did not seem to be in pain. But gripped my hand tightly, So tight that seemed to be unable or unwilling to let go. I spoke to her as calmly as possible but it was obviously she was seriously ,possibly fatally injured. We quickly ascertained the car had struck her some 50 to 60 yards up the road and carried her to where she lay, the time it took the car to stop, gave an indication as to its speed at the point of impact. The wait for the ambulance was particularly stressful.

Traffic units arrived and began questioning the driver,and making measurements at the scene. I heard a radio transmission from one of them that, this was a probable fatal and they requested a photographer and fatal accident  investigators to attend. I hoped that Marie had not also heard the transmission.  I held Marie's hand until the ambulance arrived and lifted her onto a stretcher. Once clear Rob and I began assisting Traffic officers in measuring skid marks and compiling a sketch of the scene.  A short time later, we received a call from the Control room. The hospital had reported that Marie had made it to A & E (Accident and Emergency) but examination had shown a serious leg injury and that approximately  had  4 to six inches of her shin bone was missing , The hospital asked us to carry out a search to see if we could locate it and convey it as soon as possible to the hospital where Doctors may be able to attempt to re-implant it .We suspended our mapping and with flashlights began a meticulous search of the scene. After 15 minutes were baffled. No sign of the bone or fragments were to be found  .

I was reluctant to give up and I then noticed an anonymity  with the skid marks, There was a clear score mark on the tire tracks that appeared to have come from a  loose piece of metal on the car. But the car was undamaged. Slowly the horrific truth began to dawn on me,and I asked rob for his Dragon lamp. this was a powerful beamed hand lantern that could throw a 200 foot beam. I knelt down and took a close look at the score mark. It was embedded with small pieces of bone and it extended for over 50 yards. I had found the missing bone. I somberly conveyed this to the control room.
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint